The 46-year-old from Erie, Pennsylvania was a pizza delivery man who got involved in a bank robbery that included a scavenger hunt and a homemade bomb strapped around his neck. I stabbed her 40 times. After turning onto a dead-end road, he stabbed her fifteen times with a screwdriver. Kimberly Compton was the first one over in St. Paul. In Greening's case, she was murdered in her own home and Stephani did not call 911 after killing her. Morbid: A True Crime Podcast - Episode 200: The Weepy Voiced Killer - 1 Investigators were given the tape after a family whose car had broken down found it wrapped in an old military fatigue jacket beside Highway 205 near Stockton, Calif. in August 1989. Couple is on their honeymoon and playing around in waist high water at the edge of a lake. THE SIREN Copyright 2023 FLEX WordPress Theme by SNO Log in, Your email address will not be published. He also confessed to the murders of Barbara Simons and Kathy Greening. Shutterstock / Roman Samborskyi Stephani waited two days to call investigators. Its really fucked up but theres something so bizarre and disturbing about Grave Robbing for Morons. Before she even had a chance to react, he lunged at her with a screwdriver, stabbing her a total of 15 times. And because his voice was so distinctive, law enforcement compared his call to a previous phone call from five months earlier, where a man called about a woman found dead in the snow, who had been severely beaten. Pathology Potack left the party after midnight and wandered around the city, drunk. Sign up forOxygen Insiderfor all the best true crime content. At the location, officers find Potack's naked body in a snow bank near railroad tracks, she had beaten to the point in which her skull had cracked, despite her severe injuries, Potack survived the incident, but is still recovering from brain trauma. Paul Michael Stephani, a.k.a. Grace Packer suffered unimaginable abuse throughout her short life. Thats truly very scary. The man down the line declared: God damn, will you find me? They could have been [made with] a Phillips screwdriver or an ice pick, said Det. She was with her sisters at the party, but left around midnight. The local fire department made an attempt to rescue them, which resulted in the rescue team capsizing and becoming trapped as well, with at least one member drowning. Why did the prick call 911 for a face wound when he could have just walked into a hospital? After killing her, he again contacted police pleading: God damn, will you find me? Profiler KimberlieMassnicktheorized that during the calls, the killer was going into a juvenile state. The man was identified as 37-year-old Paul Michael Stephani. In 1997, Stephani said hell confess his crimes if he could get photos of his mothers grave site. Twenty one-year-old sex worker Denise Williams was stabbed 13 times, but she survived her attack. Ryan White's documentary series debuted in 2017 and explores the murder of Sister Catherine Cesnik, who disappeared in November 1969 and whose body was discovered in January of 1970. The Staircase follows the trial of Michael Peterson after he reported in December 2001 that his wife had fallen down the stairs and died. But if you don't have your stuff stolen in Texas, you should be safe in Germany as well. It may not technically be found footage, but the recordings of the Weepy Voice Killer are pretty creepy. In a whimpering, barely coherent voice he cried: "I'm sorry for what I did to Compton. [citation needed], The show Mark of a Killer featured the case on its seventh episode, titled "Killer Caller".[9]. [8], During Stephani's trial in the Simons murder case, Stephani's ex-wife, sister and a woman who lived with him testified that they believed the hysterical caller revealing the attacks was Stephani. Three incredible serial killer survival stories - Crime+Investigation UK About a decade after he was sentenced to 40 years in prison, Stephani reached out to Corcoran, saying if he does him one favor, hell tell him everything. (I favor the latter theory. Williams successfully reached for a glass bottle that was sitting in the footwell and smashed her attacker over the face before fleeing from his car. Williams found a glass bottle in the carandsmashed it across his face, allowing her to escape before the witness called for help. Paul Michael Stephani (September 8, 1944 June 12, 1998) was an American serial killer. [1] Stephani was married to Beverly Lider and fathered a daughter with her, but the couple soon divorced. Hanau shootings - Wikipedia Evil Genius tells the story of the pizza bomber heist and the murder of Brian Wells in 2003. Theres something so iconic about it representing the exact type of unmarked video you wouldnt want to find by accident in the late 80s/early 90s. He filmed it right before he strangled and dismembered Lauren Giddings, The audio recording of the Jonestown Massacre is absolutely chilling. Just years later, Stephani began attacking women in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul area. A devout Catholic,Paul MichaelStephani confessed to three slayings and two attempted murders after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. In June of 1981, another woman was found in St. Paul near a freeway construction site by a group of teenagers. After her murder, police received another phone call, much similar to the phone call they received following the first attack. Im so upset about it.. I keep killing somebody.". On the 3rd of June, 1981, a group of teenage boys stumbled across a gruesome scene. I keep killing somebody.". Her death wasnt associated with Stephani until he confessed to her murder, due to her cause of death being different and the lack of a Weepy-Voice Killer call to police after the fact. All he said was that he remembered finding her in a bathtub. Very quickly, police realized that Lopez had not been the Weepy-Voiced Killer. For Compton and Potack, not enough evidence was there to prosecute him for those murders. Paul Michael Stephani (September 8, 1944 June 12, 1998) also known as the Weepy-Voiced Killer was an American serial killer. Then at 5:45 p.m. a troubling trend. She was later identified as Barbara Simons, a 40-year-old nurse. Two rafters attempted to float over a lowhead dam, and the backwash caused them to capsize, become trapped in the boil, and drown. I stabbed her 40 times. He just wanted one thing in return a photograph of his mothers headstone. This upset Stephani very much. We never had quite enough evidence to get him charged, said Lt. Joe Corcoran of the St. Paul Police Department.3, In 1997, however, Stephani confessed to the murder of Kim Compton after finding out that he had cancer and had less than a year to live. Heres what you need to know about Paul Michael Stephani: Stephani was ultimately responsible for three murders and two attempted murders over a period of less than two years, from 1980 to mid-1982. Mark of a Killer details the investigation of the crimes through interviews with detectives who looked into the case. There were no witness statements. Greenings naked body was face up in the water with her head under the tap and her knees bent toward the front of the tub. REAL CRIMINAL Stephanis first victim was Karen Potack on New Years Eve in 1980. Stephani attacked her and hit her with a tire iron over 10 times, leaving her with serious wounds and a brain injury. ERIN BRODY, EDITOR-IN-CHIEF/DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS, Dont talk, just listen. More than a decade after his convictions in 1997, Stephanireached out to law enforcement from behind bars to confess. His next victim was Kimberly Compton, an 18-year-old student from Wisconsin on June 3, 1981. Stephani himself called police at 3 a.m. to report the attack, directing police to a location where "There is a girl hurt there." Stephani was the last of ten children born into a Catholic family. His displays of emotion add a level of creepiness to his already disturbing crimes. He said: Please dont talk, just listen Im sorry I killed that girl. To start to fill in this gap, key persons from seven European countries-Georgia, Germany, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Poland, Switzerland, and Turkey-accepted the invitation to give their expert opinion on the state of affairs in their country at an invited panel discussion at the XIV 2015 ESTSS . June 17, 2022 . On the morning they were scheduled to leave, Kellogg had planned to drive to Greenings home for breakfast before the duo departed. The man attempted to intervene, but the suspect threatened him and then fled the scene in his car. She met Stephani while on a night out at Hexagon Bar. Stephani was born on September 8, 1944 and raised in Austin, Minnesota; as one of ten children by a highly religious family. Potack survived the attack, but she experienced brain damage and remembered nothing about the assault. Karen Potack was Stephani's first victim who survived severe wounds and brain injury in 1980. To this day, I cant believe it. During thestrangemurder investigation, police gathered evidence from Stephani's recorded calls, but for nearly two years, it wasn't enough to find him. Erin Brody is a Writing and Publishing senior from West Homestead and is the Editor-in-Chief/Director of Operations of The SIREN Media Group. Investigators found no clues at the crime scene, but 48 hours later, they received a tip in the form of an anonymous phone call to the station. [3], On December 31, 1980, Stephani beat Karen Potack in Saint Paul, Minnesota, inflicting severe wounds and brain injury. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, Horror Movies That Don't Look Like Horror Movies, The Real Killers Who Inspired Buffalo Bill, The Weepy-Voiced Killer Mercilessly Attacked His Victims - And His Tearful 911 Calls Are Chilling, The first person that Stephaniattacked was Karen Potack. He would be smiling and a few seconds later ask himself, what are you doing? In 1980 on New Year's Eve Paul Michael Stephani brutally attacked Karen Potack after abducting her from outside of a bar. Check out Evil Genius, I Love You, Now Die and The Murder of Laci Peterson on streamers. Calling 911 after killing his victims and disguising his voice One of the newest true-crime docs, "Don't F**k With Cats" chronicles how internet sleuths uncovered a man who broke the internet's number one rule (Don't f**k with cats) and committed animal abuse and allegedly murdered a man. Status I dont know why I had to stab her, the voice whined, high-pitched and panting. On December 31, 1980, he beat Karen Potack to death while she was on her way home from a New Year's Party in Prescott, Wisconsin, and she was found naked in the snow, unconscious. The strangest piece of this . Oxygens Season 2 premiere episode of Mark of a Killer looks into the signs left behind by serial killer Paul Stephani, also known as the Weepy-Voiced Killer. You Are Here: phrases with the word lane youth movements 2020 karen potack injuries. On the 5th of August, 1982, Simons had been at the Hexagon bar where she met her killer when she offered him a cigarette. StabbingDrowning (once) She had suffered wounds to her chest, stomach,and inner thighs, and the medical examiner determined she had been stabbed a total of 61 times with an ice pick. Potack left the party after midnight and wandere She sustained some of the worst injuries seen by investigators, but she lived. Place of Birth The Remorseful Serial Killer | Sword And Scale On June 6 he called to say newspaper accounts of some of the murders were inaccurate. Barbara Simons was a 40-year-old nurse living in Minneapolis, MN. Modus Operandi Signature Here's The 11 Creepiest Pieces Of 'Found Footage' That You'll Never Be If somebody dies with a red shirt on it's me. Truly one of the most bizarre cases, "Mommy Dead & Dearest" is about the murder of Dee Dee Blanchard, for which her daughter, Gypsy Rose Blanchard, and Gypsy's boyfriend, Nicholas Godejohn, were accused. Karen Potack was attacked in St. Paul after leaving a nightclub on New Year's Eve. Stephani himself called police at 3 a.m. to report the attack, directing police to a location where "There is a girl hurt there." 1981 Sometimes finding himself in the back of a Catholic church, crying over his deeds, this quote perfectly wraps up his feelings towards his horrific actions: Will you find me? She was with her sisters at the party, but left around midnight. Paul Michael Stephani. Oak Parks Heights, Minnesota He recorded all of it on video. Despite the fact that the killer had by now left multiple phone calls, police still hadnt identified him. Dont talk, just listen. I'll never make it to heaven! The murder of Laci Peterson is one of the most heavily-debated murders in U.S. history. He left his residence on the evening of Aug. 21, 1981, and while investigators were able to follow him to Minneapolis, they eventually lost track of Stephani. Im so upset about it.1. Always admitting his crimes in a high pitched, sniveling voice, Stephani gave details of murders only he would know; however, he seemed to hang up whenever the emergency dispatcher attempted to get information about Stephani himself. ", His next victim was Kathleen Greening, who was found dead at her home just outside Saint Paul. This event resulted in police dubbing the caller, "The Weepy-Voiced Killer". I cant stop myself. In a whimpering, barely coherent voice he cried: Im sorry for what I did to Compton. His next victim was Kathleen Greening, also inSt. Paul. The first person that Stephani attacked was Karen Potack on New Year's Eve 1980. A couple of days later, Stacey inexplicably vanished Penny Bell, a successful business owner, was stabbed to death in her car after apparently making an appointment with a client. Driving a car was part of life. That was one of few remorseful calls Paul Michael Stephani made to police. This doc follows the death of 18-year-old Conrad Roy who died by suicide in his car in 2014. Stephani was later diagnosed with terminal skin cancer and died in the infirmary of his prison on June 12, 1998. She was bludgeoned across the head with a tire-iron before being left for dead under the winter sky. Be sure to click the video to hear the Weepy Voiced Killer himself and his phone calls to police! Obituary Index of Germany. She sustained some of the worst injuries seen by investigators, but she lived. His first victim was Karen Potack, who was in St. Paul, Minnesota for a New Years Eve party on December 31, 1980. Further teams were sent out to attempt to recover the bodies, all of them capsizing and being caught in the boil. The unseen narrator, breathing heavily and laughing, spoke to someone named Omar. Some investigators thought it could be a reference to Satan. Kimberly Wilma Compton, 18, was stabbed 61 times with an ice pick. Vote on this poll: If Karen recovered from her injuries will she get her revenge on Peter and Meg? A neighbor heard Williams screams and confronted Stephani, who fled. The next victim wouldnt be so lucky. Hoping to find more about this mystery caller, police listened to recorded phone calls and found a match to call from New Years Day the same year the same day Karen Potack was found. Episode 200: The Weepy Voiced Killer - Morbid Paul Stephani got his nickname because of bizarre, high-pitched voice calls he would make to police after his murders. Police soon discovered that Stephani had been fired from his job at the Malberg Manufacturing plant in March 1977, three years before Potack was found murdered at that same location. After that and the help of witnesses, they were able to narrow it down to eight men and took mugshots of them. Stephani begged for an ambulance to come quickly, which may be why Potack was able to survive the attack. On 26 September, 2008, the police of Lusby, Maryland, received multiple phone-calls from worried citizens that reported seeing a young girl running down the street. of Victims Police were able to trace which phone booth Stephani was using at the time and rushed to the scene, but they missed their chance of arresting him. List of serial killers in the United States, "Paul Michael Stephani 'The Weepy-Voice Killer': 5 Fast Facts", "Serial Killer Communiques: Helpful or Hurtful", "Obituary:'Weepy-voiced killer' Paul Stephani, 53, dies in prison", Casefile True Crime Podcast - Case 15: The Weepy Voiced Killer, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Paul_Michael_Stephani&oldid=1144424057, American people convicted of attempted murder, American people who died in prison custody, Prisoners who died in Minnesota detention, Serial killers who died in prison custody, Violence against women in the United States, Articles with dead external links from January 2017, Articles with unsourced statements from October 2021, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, The Weepy-Voiced Killer / Weepy-Voiced Man, This page was last edited on 13 March 2023, at 18:05. From Wikipedia: On December 31, 1980, Stephani beat Karen Potack in Prescott, Wisconsin, inflicting severe wounds and brain injury. Your email address will not be published. Im sorry I killed that girl. Digging into his background, Hennepin County Attorneys Office discovered Stephani had worked at the Malmberg Manufacturing Company, wherePotackhad been attacked on New Years Day. Stephani would then call 911 and anonymously report the murder he had committed. A year later, on June 12, 1998, Stephani died inside the Oak Park Heights maximum security prison infirmary. After he killed his next victim, Kimberly Compton, he called the police and said God damn, will you find me? In the call, he said in what would become his trademark hysterical and high-pitched voice please send a squad to Pierce Butler Road and Malberg Manufacturing Company machine shop because theres a girl hurt there.. This would be the first in a string of bizarre an gruesome attacks on women that potentially would lead to murder. Stephani's crimes were then reported during episode 102 (titled "Quantum Madness and an Abundance of Icicles") of the podcast And That's Why We Drink on January 13, 2019. Police still werent sure this was their guy because his voice wasnt as high-pitched as the ones they had heard on the tapes. Her autopsyshowed he stabbed her more than 100 times. Stephani killed four women in 1980 to 1982 in Minnesota and Wisconsin and would make phone calls to police after in a high-pitched and remorseful voice, saying he heard voices in his head and that he now wouldnt ascend to heaven. I cant stop myself. While he was found guilty of the murder of Simons, he never actually confessed. The murder is not filmed, but the moments leading up to and immediately after the murder are taped. Look at it. Oxygen Insider is your all-access pass to never-before-seen content, free digital evidence kits, and much more. Obits Index - Germany - RootsWeb She was dead by the next morning. He was described as being around 40-year-old, 6 feet tall and 185 pounds. Every killer has a mark a signature move after their crime has been committed. The second attack came just six months later on June 3, 1981 -- and this was a particularly gruesome episode. Between 1980 and 1982, Minneapolis residents were being terrorised by a sadistic serial killer. In one of his later phone calls, he said, "I'll never make it to heaven." 2. There were no calls after Greenings death, but the Weepy-Voice Killer contacted police on the murder of Simons: Please dont talk, just listen Im sorry I killed that girl. Theres a girl hurt here, he wailed before abruptly hanging up the phone. The 19-year-old realized something was wrong when the killer drove through a dark, secluded area rather than heading back toward downtown Minneapolis. The two met at the Hexagon Bar, after Stephani asked Simons for a cigarette, which she gave him. Someone who is wanted by police would never call authorities for help, right? True Crime : Barbara Simons (Murdered 1982) @Crimedoor As they were walking through a wooded area north of Superior and Oneida Streets near the Interstate 35E, they found a body. He was convicted for the attack on Williams and murder of Simons and sentenced to 40 years in prison. ', Weepy Voiced Killer "Don't Talk Just Listen" Paul Michael Stephani serial killer. Join Facebook to connect with Karen Potack and others you may know. True Crime : Kathleen Greening (Murdered 1982) @Crimedoor I couldnt help it I cant think of getting locked up. Three hours later, police receive a call from a man wanting a squad to be sent to Pierce Butler Road, Malberg Manufacturing Company machine shop, because there was "a girl hurt there". Two days after the discovery of Comptons body, the man called 911 once again. Sergeant Joe Corcoran, who was interviewed for the episode, said he saw extreme rage in this one., With Potack, she had been so severely beaten that her brain had become exposed. Simons told a waitress that he man was going to give her a lift home. In terms of the Weepy-Voiced Killer, who got his name because of bizarre phone calls hed make to law enforcement after the committed his murders, investigators called his crimes vicious and unlike anything theyd seen before. This would be the first in Its very unusual to use an ice pick to kill somebody, Saint Paul Police Department Sergeant Joe Corcoran told Mark of a Killer.. There would have been many more victims. How bad is the pickpocket problem in Germany's public But what if he had no choice? The calls made bythe Weepy-Voiced Killer, whose real name was Paul Michael Stephani,were different. He even mentioned that he killed one more woman no one ever pinned on him. We went to the Ramsey County Medical Examiners Office and researched freshwater drownings in the timeframe that he was talking about, said Saint Paul Police Department Officer Keith Mortenson. Of course, if you just place a handbag on the table somewhere and don't give it any more attention, you will have a problem. His serial killings began on New Year's Eve 1980, university student Karen Potack had just arrived in St. Paul, Minnesota to have a party with her sisters. I cant stop myself. Shortly afterward, Stephani killed her, stabbing her with an ice pick over 60 times. Deceased(skin cancer). The little girl, who was 7-years-old, was taken to a local hospital where an examination revealed that she. After the man turned onto a dead-end road, Williams knew that something was going wrong and she was in extreme danger. Williams told police of how a man offered her a ride home, and she took him up on the offer. It was New Years Eve of 1980 when the Weepy-Voiced Killer made his very first attack. Id rather kill myself than get locked up. Founded in 2010, Thought Catalog is owned and operated by The Thought & Expression Company, Inc. For over a decade, we've been at the bleeding edge of media, pioneering an infrastructure for creatives to flourish both artistically and financially. Open Privacy Options He left Austin in the mid-1960s and moved to St. Paul, where he worked mostly as a janitor or a shipping clerk. The fourth victim would 40-year-old nurse from the Minneapolis side of the river, Barbara Simons. Initially, police ruled her death as an accident. This would be the first phone call of a few that would give Stephani the name of The Weepy-Voice Killer. Brown said. 'God damn, will you find me? Morbid: E200: The Weepy Voiced Killer - Wondery Home True Crime The Weepy-Voiced Killer Paul Michael Stephani, Between 1980 and 1982, Minneapolis residents were being terrorised by a sadistic serial killer that would make emotional phone calls to police after his murders earning him the moniker "The Weepy-Voiced Killer.". Stephani was convicted of the Simons murder and of the attempted murder of Williams and was sentenced to 40 years. Kimberly Compton was the first one over in Saint Paul I killed more people Ill never make it to heaven! he cried. After days of searching, they found a case they believedwasa match to Stephanis victim Kathleen Greening, a 33-year-old schoolteacher who was found dead in her bathtub on July 21, 1982. This was where he saw Karen Potak. When Kellogg arrived at her friends house, she knocked on the front door. The Weepy-Voiced Killer Paul Michael Stephani, The Weepy-Voiced Killer Paul Michael Stephani Morbidology 24LINE.NET, The Weepy-Voiced killer, Paul Michael Stephani The B Word, Bloodlust: The Tragic Case of Stacey Mitchell. The strangest piece of this . The body would be identified as 18-year-old Kimberly Compton from Pepin. If I get locked up, Ill kill myself. He then took a screwdriver out of his glove compartment and began stabbing her. ", His next victim was Kimberly Compton, an 18-year-old student from Pepin, Wisconsin on June 3, 1981 in neighboring Minneapolis. He was obsessed with Bjrk and over the course of 9 months, made several videos detailing how he was going to kill her with a letter bomb, among other things. So, who was Stephani before he became the Weepy Voiced Killer, and who were his victims? We started talking and I told her Id show her around town, Stephani said. A nearby man heard screaming and came to the woman's rescue before calling authorities. By analyzing how the offender attempted to cover up the crime scene, Det. "There's a girl hurt here," he wailed before abruptly hanging up the phone. Stephani was convicted of both counts, and he was sentenced to 18 years for the attack on Williams and 40 years for Simons murder, reported theAssociated Press. There, first responders found 20-year-old college student Karen Potack, who had been beaten and stripped nude in a snowbank.

What Does X Mean In Canvas Grades, Winter Olympics Biathlon Rifle, Ted Nugent Mathews Bow, Is 3 Round Burst Legal In Pennsylvania, Articles K