But Phil being Phil, he detailed every single fill, every single detail of every single song. So they took some time off. With the exception of when he is doing his solo work, Collins is usuallythe one most in the background, going with the opinions of the rest of the group. Did they talk to you about being a part of that? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7_vNpVXubA, What happened from there? Thats where I started. Shed been on the road for three years straight and she got it. The 50 Worst Decisions in Music History I read it and just wept because most of it had happened by that point. But at this point in life, if I could do my own stuff, Id really love that. It was a real wake-up call. Thats where I met my wife. And I have to say, as much as I always felt separate and apart from the whole thing, seeing everyone together was an amazing and surprising feeling. During that same conversation, I said to him, As a matter of fact, I need to take a break from doing both. There was no leader. Most surely he didn't made s much money as Phil Tony and Mike, but he has a wealthy positiobn and artistic respect, something that Genesis lost. None of the other members really knew how to communicate in a funny way with their audiences. Phil was very shocked and surprised and annoyed that I didnt say that his stuff was more fun. Later on he became tourmanager for Genesis. Everybody had a say. And the tour was that way too. Id say we agree on his drummingskills. Rolling Stone interview series Unknown Legends features long-form conversations between senior writer Andy Greene and veteran musicians who have toured and recorded alongside icons for years, if not decades. On the We Cant Dance tour in 1992, did you sense that Phil wasnt going to continue with Genesis after it? With Weather Report, I had to learn which ones to leave out. Did you take a crash course in Genesis before you went in? Terry Bozio: good drummer but he didn`t compose anything for the band U.K. Was successful in the Missing Persons Pop band. When Phil said that his 2004 tour was going to be his last one, did you believe him? No. Did you get to meet him? The only person I didnt see was probably Otis Redding. Reading the book I get the feeling that he only felt really involved in Selling EnglandFirst he says he had a slight inferior complex as a composer, his ideas were not well recieved, his marriage ended etc. Theres a great jazz community, too. I never really toured with an R&B band, but Id played it all my life. Tell me about recording One Size Fits All. And then it got to be a little more honest. I have no memory of that whatsoever. I know they are planning a European portion. We normally had a lot of eye contact at shows. If you know the history, Joe [Zawinul] and Wayne [Shorter] were real good friends. And Phil and I had a lot of the same roots. I probably heard more Elvis than anything in the Fifties. I cant do that.. During that particular run, there was none, ever. -Drummers who are lead singers "better should stay behind the drum kit and not to sing". And so, we had met and played together on a few occasions. Id hang out with these guys and theyd play all sorts of crazy stuff Id never heard before. It was a big part of his background, and we just hit it off immediately., One of his biggest problems on his first Genesis tour was trying to understand his English bandmates speech. That is the reason he left the drums to Chester and Bruford. All rights reserved. We go way back. All three members of the trio Genesis played a part in the decision to simplifiy their sound, with Banks being the most in charge. I didnt find out any of this until later, but the timing was amazing. What I don't like is MUZAK (Elevator music), and that's Phil's field. Im grateful. Not sure what's up there? Theyre such great singers. I wish him nothing but the best. There were all these conversations going back and forth that Id try to track. Wed do eight-hour rehearsals. I agree, one weak album, because GTR was a multi members enterproce that involved even Steve Howe, but it wa a disaster. It wasnt his most intense stuff, but fortunately I knew who he was and that it was going to be good stuff. And I dont want to ever only play one thing. Just trying to make the best use of the time. I said, Tony, in view of what Phil said in this interview, I guess I dont need to hold these dates any more? He said, What are you talking about? Chester Thompson, who spent more than 30 years playing drums live with Genesis, recalled how Phil Collins targeted him every time things went wrong on the frontmans debut solo tour. Chester Thompson on His Years With Genesis, Frank Zappa, and Weather Report, Northern California between Sac and SF, CA, (You must log in or sign up to reply here. I don't subscribe and I sat and read it for a good 20-25 minutes. And hes that good at them both. The guy had a great feel, but he wasnt a real reader. Phil is not one of those artists. Unfortunately, they never really had to change drummers before. By then, radio was getting pretty segregated. It took me a while to get over it, but I really wish him well. Not too many of them sing even backing vocals, not too many of them are composers, not too many of them become famous as soloists, not too many of them are very good lead singers. It didnt frustrate me so much that I didnt do it. Mike says that Phils drumming added a new dimension to Genesis. It didnt surprise me. There were pictures taken and all that. This new thing Ive been working on with my friends in L.A., its [bassist] Pee Wee Hill and [keyboardist] Michiko Hill, his wife. I mean to be keep in the background in their importance in the bands. We were playing touch football one day and Napoleon had the ball and was running past Tom, and Tom reached out and tagged him. I was never in a teenage band. Hes sort of a quiet guy. I wish I could afford my son. The drum instructor left and Id gotten to know the head of the department. Sat 27th Nov 2021 20.00 GMT. That is the reason he left the drums to Chester and Bruford. I was kind of surprised that Daryl wasnt doing it, either. Did they audition you? No. The Australia leg got added later and they wound up doing a film of the tour. Drummers are not really "musicians", because they don`t play "musical notes", so let`s keep them in the background. We arent, like, chums, but we stay in touch. Hed then go off to a studio and work on whatever he had in the can. That was amazing. But you have read him saying that anything after Fragile is crap, and that was a literal quote. Basically, he tried to come up with stuff the band couldnt play, and we always managed to pull it off. If Phil made a compilation of 70's albums I wouldn't think he's running out of money (In first place nobody will acept to do a Prog Genesis album with him), I would think hre wants MORE money, and he's trying to recapture Prog' fanbase. I think try get hold of the album. I met him the night before at his house. Did you work remotely? thxs VB; Black Market split in half drumwise; good stuff. I didnt know until later. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/llins-frank-zappa-weather-report-1122064/amp/, https://ultimateclassicrock.com/chester-thompson-phil-collins-solo-tour/. I think that he became popular with housewives, and that was his "guilt". That happened because of ODonel Levy. Frank was doing time within time. Has Phil talked to you at all in the past 10 years? By the time they reached out to me, they allowed 10 days for rehearsal and it was a two-and-a-halfhour show. I also think he made a very significant positive contribution to Genesis' heyday. He actually double-tracked all that stuff. Whats it like to walk onto that stage and see just an ocean of people going insane? [Laughs] They were like, How could you be down here doing this and not our tour? I was like, Im just here a few days. But I was really trying to be mindful of family time. In between, were doing this project. It was really disturbing because, for the first two weeks, I could not follow a single conversation, he admitted. Exactly. I was playing with adults. He wasnt a fan of the music. He was a member from the beginning, when they did there really masterful work, but no one seems to mention that. I actually kind of felt bad for him, he was trying to impart what it takes to be a working drummer (discussing things like getting no sleep with Zappa, his approach to odd times, prepping for touring, being versed in many styles, reading etc..) part of the audience was peppering him with Genesis questions like "what is Phil Collins like?," and the other half just wanted to hear some blazing solo.. odd crowd. When I was about to transfer to a four-year school, I got the audition with [Frank] Zappa. Man, what an education to see all those people in their prime. So, youre a freelance drummer hoping to get re-upped for a gig with a guy who has hired you again and again over more than two decades, and you dont send a holiday card? He passed away [in 2002]. I saw James Brown, an early Motown revue, Sam Cooke, Chuck Jackson, Jerry Butler, the Impressions, Sam and Dave, all the Stax artists. They limit the amount of times you can access their site. That's pretty much the zest of it. It scared the pants off me. I don't think Phil Collins can be fully blamed for the change of direction. The very first one, and I had to beg my older brother to take me, was Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers. The guys work ethic he just worked. So I continue quite off topic! Send us a tip using our anonymous form. He was a virtuoso, no question, but most of his stuff was straight 16ths. At one point, they were talking about going out with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett. That was that. !11, Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation, Piano, Programming, Orchestration, Fender Rhodes, Fortepiano, Keyboards, Keyboards, Programming, Orchestration, Engineer, Keyboards, Mixing, Orchestration, Engineer, Programming, Guitar, Orchestration, ?, Main Performer, Harmonica, Percussion, Vocals, Producer, Vocals (Background). He wasn't the only member of the band, and it wasn't a chnage that happened overnight. It was a much bigger band, Thompson told Rolling Stone in a new interview. Part of me is not disappointed that Im not playing those same tunes again after 30 years. Many of them are self-taught. They just edited in that other day of his recording. In San Francisco, they have a minimum on these shows. Feb 7, 2021 #34 . It wasnt the same kind of luxury and stuff, which is fine., He added that Genesis was very balanced, instead of having a leader, and everybody had their say. But his first experience with Collins as boss was kind of a drag. He only truly related to drums," Thompson explained. First, a great interview. In the book Tony says that Phil liked Yes and brought some of their playing ability to Genesis. Ive heard lots of audiences tapes, but its pouring rain and none of them sound great. How about pop music? Apparently Phil and Bill grew up near each other and knew each other fairly well. I think he got a little annoyed since I had done an interview and they asked which I enjoyed [Genesis or Collins solo] more. I thought, Why not? I had no idea I was going to fall in love with teaching. Who were some of your drumming heroes as a teenager? We did it at Ike Turners studio, Bolic Sound. 155K views 1 year ago NASHVILLE CHESTER THOMPSON PLAYED DRUMS WITH GENESIS FROM 1976-2007 . Much of the show is just you playing drums, but during a lot of the instrumental breaks, Phil would come back and play along with you. I said to those guys, I dont care if you use another drummer on parts of the album. this can result in this site earning a commission. Jeff Porcaro: a great drummer but not a main composer in Toto. I no longer teach at the university, but I have taken on some private students. Im constantly writing, constantly trying new stuff. When you heard he was going solo, did you think it would work out for him? But back to the point, the investment in this album was big, Bruford, Levin, Wetton, Ian Mc'Donnald, Julian Colbeck, etc are not cheap, and he knew from thestartthis album would never be a hit. And then I ended up doing Phils Motown thing and that didnt go well. [Laughs]. No. They really enjoy life and love to laugh. This is why I don't think they sold out or did it for any other reason than that is what they wanted to do. What are your goals over the next few years? At the very beginning, did they make it clear that youd be playing on the tours but not the albums, because Phil does all his own drumming? Say It Right, Aug 16, 2018 #152 The_Windmill likes this. Thiswent further,Steve wasn't even invited to the 1982 reunion in Milton Keynes (Only played the encores, because he was in audience). Later that year, he also cancelled two gigs after falling in his hotel room and hitting his head, a result of the drop foot mentioned above. The rhythm sections at several of the gigs had big bands. Chester Thompson. Man, I still love to play. They assumed I was going with Alphonso. Rolling Stone suspended its policy on Genesis not being cool enough to report on for a long interview with Chester Thompson. We didnt do a lot of shows, but at the very last show [at the Montreux Jazz Festival on July 1st, 2010], he wasnt the happiest hed ever been. I dont know details of what happened with that, but I think Peter was busy putting something else together. Y'know, it's funny, but when I see the name Chester Thompson . You did four sold-out nights at Wembley Stadium. Don Henley: another drummer who is lead singer, and main writter with guitarist Glen Frey, and he also sings ballads without being "hated" as Collins is. Are there any salient quotes or paragraphs detailing why they fell out? It must have been interesting to watch them evolve from And Then There Were Three to Duke to Abacab and see them embrace New Wave to some degree and change up their sound. The five of us lined up for a picture. There was a short tour coming up and he reached out to me. [Laughs] Its interesting, I probably absorbed more of their culture than they did anything I grew up with because I was really uncomfortable. That was just rhythm section, [keyboardist] George Duke, [bassist] Tom Fowler. As far as I know he doesn't have the health I started thinking, Now what did I do? And so I kind of froze. Its very nice to get that stuff, but at the same time, because Ive moved on, its taking me back and forcing me to deal with it again. How has your Covid year gone? Not at all. When Phil Collins moved from the drum kit to the front of the stage in 1976, Genesis hired former Yes drummer Bill Bruford to join them on tour. But with Phil, youre one of a cast of thousands. Yeah. I dont know. But when that whole tour was announced, Phil was very insistent that it was not going to be a big tour. I wasnt aware of any of that. After a year with him, I spent some time in Boston with a keyboard player named Webster Lewis, who was phenomenal. An adult who lived in the projects where I grew up was named ODonel Levy. Somebody would have their radio on the outside. We went back and forth. Was that fun? How did he know you? Unfortunately, somehow Ike or his people lost the master tape. I just love the adventure of life. Yeah. Everything wasnt that, but a lot of the tunes went that way. For me, I thought it was fifth or sixth grade. Lee Kerslake: he sings backing vocals but again not the main composer in Uriah Heep. IMO, he is a good composer, a funny showman, a very good lead & backing singer, and one of the best drummers in Rock music. You couldnt be less than what you were supposed to be. She was with Michael Jackson and was actually working with Prince when he passed. Oh, my goodness! But they asked Daryl and I to come to this little room on the side. There was no getting around it. Sorry man, but Steve is the only Genesis member that released a whole album with new version of Genesis songs, i can't understand how somebody can say he didn't liked the music. Yes, it`s true, but none of them became the permanent lead singer in their bands like Collins. Breaks Down His Killer White House Correspondents Dinner Set, Bernie Sanders: Many GOP Leaders 'Don't Even Believe in Democracy'. I love the Tokyo Tapes show you did with Steve Hackett and all the prog guys in 1996. So many songs, so many albums, so many concerts. Exactly. Thread starter Vistalite Black; Start date Feb 5, 2021; Prev. He asked me if I read [music] and he showed me a chart and asked me if I could learn it by the next day. If you were in Franks band, you had to be willing to be silly. Would have to be an idiot not to agree with this, my problem is not with his drumming, I recently had a discussion with a member who said he was only an average drummer not able to play with Yes. Those two weeks, man, I dont think we ever laughed that much all the years wed been together. In fact, we wound up doing a tour opening for them. Even though he played with Brand X, he was not comfortable with soloing. I imagine it was frustrating. They felt that was pretty interesting, but it was the only way we got through it. How did you wind up touring with Ben E. King in 1969? Early life [ edit] He was part of a band in Milwaukee that played a place that was the place to stop and jam when you were on tour. Weird. And Id known Daryl for years. Like I said, it was never a band in that sense. How was it for you culturally? And then I got into better clubs around Baltimore. It was kind of like asking your buddy to come cover your band because suddenly youre doing something different. Die DVD-Version zeigt ein ganzes Konzert vom 15. I absolutely loved this round table discussion of Zappa's drummers. And that was the end of that. How about if I come in and play some percussion along with Alex [Acua]? But it was uncomfortable. But hed get more comfortable with it and be really involved with putting it together. Show more 8:40. I guess life had happened in between. (I am totally serious, the tamborine dance is amazing), Phil Colinskilled my friends younger brother, I saw him do it i swear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When Phil called, the first thing he said was, Theres no audition. Still his guitarplay wasvery important to the music even if his composing didnt reach the albums. Youve played Take Me Home hundreds of times. It was something called Kung Fu. Unfortunately, it never got released. Basically, I want to keep putting things out. IvanI think we have reached the end of our discussion wether Phil is nasty or not. Turns out it was purely a union thing. When I was 13 and able to go on my own, I pretty much went every other week. My audition consisted just of jamming. Phil Collins had to hire Chester Thompson and Bill Bruford. So, he had to be at the front of the stage. . I seem to recall Chester had a falling out with the post-Collins duo too, when they rejected his request to become a full member in the band. Phil and I, from the very first rehearsal when he sat down and we started jamming together, we just locked. He would be onstage. I got to play some really cool stuff. Come the day of the show, Peter was wherever he was at the moment, which wasnt where he said hed be the day before. [Laughs] But Ive really been enjoying my life. But she once gave me a letter that I wrote in fourth grade that pretty much outlined my whole career. He canceled a tour and was honest about it. I don't think he was ever going to be on board with expanding it to additional legs. I thought, That probably isnt a great idea. But it had gotten to the point where the front row at the L.A. Forum was all Hollywood celebrities as opposed to your fans. But I believe Steve won more, because he didn't took part in the POP Genesis (Something with what he clearly disagrees) and made a solid career. He was a phenomenal player oh, my goodness. But Phil Collins still did great things with those two albums. I think that Bruford said that in 1992-93 for the "Notes of the Edge" website. So Phil did pop some good , some average and some contrived but all big selling. They were starting rehearsals the next week for a new tour and that happened to be my favorite band at the time. The 2021 tour is billed as "The Last Domino?" named after the song "Domino" which . As a matter of fact, we had already been told what dates to hold for 2008. ), Forum Policies, Rules, and Terms of Service. Phil Collins had to hire Chester Thompson and Bill Bruford. Music Department: The Who's Tommy, the Amazing Journey. Almost a tradition? Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Progatron, Feb 4, 2021. . When we got to rehearsal, I didnt know about the stuff that was going on in Phils life. Phil Collins on lead vocals. No, the frontman is the most important man in most of the cases and in live acts, but remember, there's rock without guitar or keyboards, but there's no rock without drums or Bass (Except in a few and veryrarecases). I don't think he's bnasty, seems a nice chap, but he said too many stupid things and then contradicted himself depending in the way the market went, He said Prog is crap when Prog was unpopular and harrased by Punk, Discoor New Wave, but when his boring pop became part of the past he changed and said he always was a proghead.

Isaiah Crosby Meadows, Libra 2022 Horoscope Career, Dora The Explorer Dailymotion, Syrian Music Instruments, Articles P