PHILLIPS HALL. After a year in Copenhagen, he began a PhD program at Princeton, where he established his interests in particle physics and quantum field theory. By age 31 in 1964, he was a full professor at Berkeley. I would have listened. David (dfsheaff@gmail.com) and Trisha Sheaff live in Harpswell, ME. Andy Schroer is a math teacher at Mercersburg Academy in Mercersburg, PA, and continues to golf. They created a website and set 78 ambitious goals, one for each year he livedsuch as getting orbisculate mentioned in a podcast, a word game, and a Hallmark cardand got to work. You may contact me directly, at my email or phone below. Michiganders everywhere will benefit from Marks leadership and his commitment to identifying and uplifting historic places for future generations to enjoy. Mark served as the executive director of the Michigan Historic Preservation Network and also worked as a managing member with Lynmar Group LLC for over ten years providing consulting services for historic rehabilitation projects. On the family front, she has three children plus spouses, eight grandchildren, and five greats (the newest arrived in April 2021). Has education failed?. After six separate plans had been considered and discarded, a seventh design was finally adopted in early 1952, and the architectural firm of Perkins and Will was commissioned to draw up preliminary designs. The couple retired just before the pandemic and moved from NYC to Idaho, but also now split their time between Boise and New Orleans. He has been working 100% remotely from his home office since March 2020 as a medical safety officer for Janssen Pharmaceuticals (Johnson & Johnson). Grandchildren are in or entering university. She is very happy. At the risk of leaning on Kris to write my column as well as her own (thanks, Kris! Help classmates keep up with news about you. Watching pelicans dive in the Caribbean and playing golf four times a week at 81 years old. From Minnesota, Mike Hoffman (myflightplan@gmail.com) stayed close to home for a year, following the science, and paid close attention to Dr. Fauci. Online news form. Murray Heimberg, MNS 49, spent most of the COVID-19 year indoors and adjusted to it very well. Sudip and Joan Button Thakor (Annual Fund) are residing in Connecticut, where they have raised many Cornellians. Anyway, over the past decade or so, some of my representative activities have been lobbying and giving a variety of public speeches on behalf of veterans, appearing in political advertisements on TV as a veteran, being the immediate past president of Vietnam Veterans of America (Chapter 227 in Northern Virginia), and being a mentor in the Veterans Treatment Dockets in the Fairfax Virginia Courts (for veterans with substance abuse issues and PTS or TBI). Anthony Provenzano, MD 76 (drpro@drpro.com) is chairman of the Cancer Committee and Tumor Board, as well as director of clinical oncology at NewYork-Presbyterian Medical Group in Westchester. For most of Cornell's history, Geology was taught in the College of Arts and Sciences. Perhaps he will play us a set at Reunion! The inbox of your class correspondent is always a welcoming one. Wife Carole advises that the food is pretty good. : 42.4522, -76.4804). in the US. But she and David were psyched to sneak in some post-vaccination, pre-Delta travel: they went to Iceland in July. We hope that the end of the year goes well for everyone, and that this year has been a happy and healthy one for all of you, as well as your family and friends! So, despite how much our generation has screwed up the world, we have done a few good things as well!. His biggest takeaway from the pandemic: While we all share many common experiences during this COVID-19 journey, each individuals personal journey is different. From the other side of the Rockies, we hear from Susan Whiting (smwhiting@gmail.com) and Bruce Van Dusen. At Cornell ECE we investigate analog and mixed signal circuits, RF transceivers, low power interfaces, and much more. 131 Phillips Hall +1 (607) 255-6303 sja4@cornell.edu (as of Dec 01, 2007) If you have a disability and are having trouble accessing information on this website or need materials in an alternate format, Contact web-accessibility@cornell.edu for assistance. She will be terribly missed by her family, classmates, colleagues, and friends. Liz also jumped in this year as a volunteer mentor for First Strides, a local couch-to-5K program for women of all ages. If you didnt, please take a moment to submit an online news form or send a message to: Class of 2017, c/o Alexandra Bond 12, abb83@cornell.edu. Please get in touch and let us know how youre doing. All of you contributing and reading our news column continue our proud tradition of being Cornell 84 graduates. We must better prepare for new stressespandemics, global warming, population displacements, etc., writes Alan Schechter (alannschechter@gmail.com), reflecting on the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Send news to: Alex Barna, alexbarna@comcast.net; Gary Rubin, glr34@cornell.edu. With the pandemic and the ensuing economic shakeups, many of our classmates have been confronted by profound challenges while others have found opportunity. Online news form. Rishabh Gupta, president of the Cornell Club of Mumbai, let the Cornell community know about an interesting new venture: Indias COVID-19 crisis is in the headlines. And yet, Im trying to enjoy every day. Muriel King Taylor, MD 62 (jamur4321@gmail.com) writes from Lakewood, WA, and she too has been isolating at home, suspending her usual out-of-the-house activities like weekly rowing, exercise classes, and group painting. Steve Nojeim reports: Like so many others in the Class of 78, I turned the big 65 this year. Her son, Shmuel, is in West Palm Beach, FL, for a year doing a glaucoma fellowship at the Bascom Palmer facility. I am a consistent donor to Cornell, but I am not going to use this form. Jerrilyn is also the author of Wiregrass Country, a regional folklife study of the South. Barb Pirson Foisy just retired after 16 years at IBM and 19 years teaching math. As serious as the pandemic has been, it is only an alarm for much bigger challenges in the future. His son, Javier, is a freshman at the U. of Edinburgh in Scotland, and his daughter, Isabel 18, continues to work at Major League Baseball in NYC. Her daughter is finishing her second year in textile science and fashion business at the U. of Alberta in Edmonton. She and I are still on our honeymoon, although we have not gone anywhere due to COVID.. He gets satisfaction from growing his wine and alternative adult beverage business and enjoying their new Florida home. I dont know about any of the rest of you, but being 90 and post-pandemic (?) Still in the same house and town. Dana Johnson (Pittsford, NY) wrote, I have been playing clarinet and baritone sax in three bands for 30 yearssince retirement. In a new note, Ann Coffeen Turner checked the box that lets me share her email: harann52@yahoo.com. Time is fleeting in this area, though he is grateful for his longevity (age 96 when written) and good health. Nathanael Greene Slater (ngs34@cornell.edu) remembers beginning a writing seminar in 1975 in the Temple of Zeus, and he is still writing at home. Pete Salinger, peteRsalinger95@gmail.com; Susan Rockford Bittker, ladyscienc@aol.com. Dorothy Taylor Prey, 1 Baldwin Ave., #501, San Mateo, CA, 94401; tel., (650) 342-1196; email, dmprey@aol.com. Plenty of classmates kids have headed off to campuses after embracing some hybrid, at-home, or gap year options over the last year, including Caroline Raymond, daughter of Catie Blackler and Derek Raymond, whos starting at Santa Clara U. a year after graduating from high school in Skaneateles, NY. Rich is an avid cyclist who feels that the pandemic is a reminder of how quickly things can change.. Linda wrote, I sold my Texas home, and we bought an 8-ft. by 26-ft. trailer camper to move ourselves to New Hampshire (along with seven animals). Mick and Joan Bleckwell McHugh still reside in Shawnee Mission, KS (whence, perhaps, the tornadoes hitting the East this summer came). We provide tools, workspace, and acommunityfor all interested members of Cornells campus. It was the last opportunity for people to travel and they came from Arizona, Illinois, Michigan, Massachusetts, and New York. Frances gets the most satisfaction these days from socializing with friends. Her biggest takeaway from the pandemic: Too many people have no sense of community or responsibility for others, have no respect or caring for those who have less and their suffering, or are only me centeredtheir pods, their money, and what it buys for them. Dont forget to buy your Red Hot Hockey tickets! We remain in good health. Stephanie Yan, smy43@cornell.edu. Phyllis Haight Grummon, phg3@cornell.edu; Pamela Meyers, psmeyers73@gmail.com; David Ross, dave@daveross.com. In his spare time, John serves as a lecturer at the Johnson School. By the end of the week the move had been completed. Humphreys Service Building Cornell University Ithaca, NY 14853 (607) 255-5322 Another way of expressing this is, more scientific thinking combined with human compassion. A large array of multi-dimensional problems (climate, energy, etc.) Winter kept us from outdoor activities because we didnt travel to Florida, where weve been going regularly to New Smyrna Beach. Still, having been able to participate in Zoom classes, online bridge games, and family game nights, Ellie and Alan admit that the pandemic without modern technology would have been more difficult., Katherine Beneke Lyle reports from Connecticut that she and Bob 58 have spent most of our days since COVID here in Vernon, but also still spend time at our cottage in Kennebunkport, ME. Hes excited to finally get the away-from-home college experience. When not working, Shana writes that she dances and hikes, enjoys time with friends, and leads an annual theme camp at Burning Man! Joel and I became grandparents on March 31! Andrew Paul writes: We had a busy last 12 months as Margaret and I moved to Aspen, CO, from New York. Her third daughter, Sarah, is a sophomore at Connecticut College, and her youngest, Katie, is in grade ten and plays volleyball and runs. Finally, for contrast, a note submitted in July. Electrical and Computer Engineering Phillips Hall, Room 308 607/255-7147 ase63@cornell.edu Mohamed I. Ibrahim Assistant Professor Electrical and Computer Engineering Phillips Hall, Room 301 mibrahim@cornell.edu Debdeep Jena David E. Burr Professor of Engineering Electrical and Computer Engineering David E. Burr Professor of Engineering The ongoing modernization and upgrading of the laboratories bodes well for many more years of useful service to the EE School. Not a lot of news this round from our classmates, but we are looking forward to hearing from all of you next time! We havent done such a collection in several decades, and we hope that everyone will share something of where they are in their lives, some highlights of how they got there, and perhaps what their retirement future (or present for some of us) will look like. Online news form. This will begin the first in our series, Tales from the Plague Year+ (the + denoting that the plague has been going on for longer than a year, if anyone needed reminding). This lab space houses power supplies, signal generators, oscilloscopes, hand tools, drills, and a medley of electrical components, sensors, and actuators. He graduated from high school in 2019 and has since been working in grocery stores and restaurants (Ill miss his beet salad) and taking community college courses. Jeff admits, It has been particularly difficult for me as an ER doctor to get through the pandemic. Margaret Monteith Edelman, BA 45, has been spending time at the doctors office. Lastly, Michael Madon reports some business news involving several Cornellians: Roughly two years after selling my cybersecurity company to Mimecast LTD with the help of fellow Cornellians Matt Sitelman 95 and Jann Yogman 93, I have brought in Dan Spiegel 96 to help launch Pretaa. He also has been meeting online every week with his daughter in Denver and his son and daughter-in-law in Santa Monica, CA. Her takeaway from the pandemic? He will begin kindergarten in August. Within a week, the first 1,000 oxygen concentrators arrived in India, each saving a few lives every single day. If you have a disability and are having trouble accessing information on this website or need materials in an alternate format, Marshall Goldstein, last here four years ago, lives in Brewster, NY, and also wants to share his email address: marshallg@aol.com. Raymond Disch shared that he is CEO at Sourland Mountain Spirits distillery, located in Hopewell, NJ, and spends time being involved in his community. His older daughter is in her third year as an RN BSN in Maine, and his younger daughter is in her third year of a BArch program in Cambridge, MA. He was a virologist who did his masters thesis on RNA and could have explained fully the antiviral developments leading successfully to the vaccines (based on messenger RNA). Whin, ME 68, and Joan Melville, from Pittsford, NY, wrote, We have not been traveling except for a trip to Boston for the first birthday and baptism of our tenth grandchild, whose parents are Jeff 09, ME 10, and his wife, Siobhan. Her family has brought her the most satisfaction these days. Things to do at Phillips Hall on March 24 - April 23, 2023 - Cornell events.cornell.edu Phillips Hall Calendar Event Calendar for Phillips Hall March 24 - April 23, 2023 Thursday, March 30, 2023 ECE Seminar: Poulami Das, Software and. And Im looking forward to parents weekend! Tobys biggest takeaway from the pandemic has been the explosion of reconnection electronically, with friends from all walks and stages of life. Judy Bryant Wittenberg, jw275@cornell.edu. The obituary in the Cape Cod Times details her amazing story. Schofield Hall (S) Reunion. Retirement number one was from Bergen Brunswig (now AmerisourceBergen) Pharmaceuticals. Robert says that nostalgic memories of the past with emphasis on Cornell bring him the most satisfaction these days. Online news form. In 2020 she spent the entire summer in Florida and enjoyed getting together with neighbors who stayed, calling themselves the driveway divas. Normally she goes to her condo in McLean, VA, but living by the ocean I usually had a breezeand the temperature here was the same as the D.C. swamp. Liz is busy with both the opera society and symphony society, plus volunteering as a docent at the art museum. I represent national and regional healthcare third-party payers and insurers in healthcare provider overpayment cost containment matters. William believes that RNA-based vaccines should protect us from future viruses and recommends reading Walter Isaacsons The Code Breakers. As we began to emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic, it came as no surprise that aviation economist John Heimlich led the way, by spreading his wings to visit classmates across the country. Thinking about billiard balls was one way into theoretical physics. Our alternative text listings page presents our map data in tables. Please keep your news and views coming in via the online news form, or write directly to either of us: Howie Eisen, heisen@pennstatehealth.psu.edu; Mary Flynn, maryflynn1@me.com. Cottrell designed a special illumination laboratory for the third-floor north wing. In 1999, he received the Lewis Thomas Prize, which is awarded to the researcher who best embodies the scientist as poet.. Michael Hogan of Delmar, NY, chose to spend January and February in Aruba instead of Albany. Stephanie is a grandmother of three children and three dogs and plays tennis in her free time. Their children are all engaged in trying to improve the worldone in Africa, one in grad school in international environmental policy, one a writer, one a social enterprise entrepreneur, and one a special needs teacher. They also have three grandchildren. While these days we go to fewer social events, concerts, and plays, we have been able to spend the summer months at our place in Vermont playing golf, swimming, and seeing friends outdoors. Keep the news coming and stay well. Class website. She has been so impressed by Cornells response to the pandemic. After my husband, Russ, and I dropped my kids off at Cedar Lake Camp in Milford, PA, we went on a three-week road trip from Milford, PA, to Albany, NY, to Marblehead, MA, to Paradox Lake, NY (think Lake George), and then to Asheville and back to Florida. If you didnt, please take a moment to submit an online news form or send a message or holiday letter directly to: Peggy Ramin, mar335@cornell.edu. Hi classmates and family and friends of the Class of 89! She and her son Dash decided to build a home near Austin to be closer to relatives but found they hated the heat and made the decision to move back East. Feel free to reach out anytime: my NetID is ndh8. Our class includes doctors, lawyers, engineers, professors, and leaders in every field. Two mates live in Maine: Rev. So many of you answered the recent call for news that Ive got enough now for at least two more columnsthank you for that! Lastly, Colleen Colbert has been busier than ever during the pandemic, practicing clinical psychology via telehealth resources. Contact web-accessibility@cornell.edu for assistance. Allan Rousselle, agr2@cornell.edu; Rose Tanasugarn, nt28@cornell.edu; and Nancy Solomon Weiss, nancyswm@outlook.com. PHL. At the other extreme, David Prouty reports that his mother, Muriel Sacks Prouty, has dementia and lives in an assisted living facility in Nyack, NY. We recently migrated to group texting so as to avoid seeing each others faces. Lets follow John as he zooms out of his living room to see and report on his merry band of 91ers. John recently began working for Boston-based healthcare administration startup Cohere Health as VP of marketing. My roommate sophomore year, Marilyn Kleinberg Neimark 61, convinced me to join her on a seven-and-a-half-week tour of Europe that summer, arranged through her fathers employer. Please keep all the updates coming. Laura Howe Czekaj retired in 2018 after 25 years as an English teacher in Hasbrouck Heights, NJ. Greetings, Class of 92! Her oldest daughter, Rebecca, is working on a two-year program in prosthetics after graduating from Western U. Big news, small newswe want to hear it all. On the other hand, my time in the military and later activities made it clear to me that the people who serve are not the elites but ordinary working people for whom military service often is an opportunity for self-betterment. COVID provided an opportunity to meet his neighbors, as they started a twice-a-week cocktail hour. I look forward to hearing more from you. Hello, classmates! The sentiment from John Gerich (john.gerich@aol.com) is most expressive, as his pandemic takeaway uses strong language about how Trump handled the situation. Wed love to hear what has been happening in your world lately! Caroline Flax, csf79@cornell.edu; Mateo Acebedo, ma698@cornell.edu. In 1904, physics moved into brand-new Rockefeller Hall, Franklin Hall became the permanent home of electrical engineering, and a new electrical machinery laboratory in Rockefeller was used by both physics and electrical engineering until 1916 when EE opened its own machinery laboratory in the second floor of Rand Hall. The networks structure is formed by experiences children have in the first three years of life. Lisa Diamant, Ljdiamant@verizon.net; Pat Relf Hanavan, patrelf1@gmail.com. She continues, My husband of 69 years died at the end of 2019. Continue to send notes and updates to me at the address below, or submit an online news form. My granddaughter is a freshman at Cornell! Linda is thankful for family and dear friends and to be able to live not very differently than before. I read and travel voraciously. All rights reserved. Life is pretty damn good! Over the last 25 years, he has co-founded 14 biomedical device companies. Both have stayed close to home, Bob keeping busy at his life care residence giving weekly inspiration programs over Zoom and staying grateful for every day, and Ken often in self-isolation, volunteering when I can with a Bath-Brunswick respite care group. Ken has a special request for classmates: Im looking for a photo of the west exterior wall of the West End Candy Kitchen that displayed a huge sign stating Behind this Wall are 365 Cases of Beer. If you have one, please send as an attachment to my email address above. John Buchleitner, BEE 60, feels that our teenagers are taking the greatest hit with the lack of socialization during the pandemic; it will show in a few years. John remembers when his EE class moved to Phillips Hall in our sophomore year and cant believe the changes on campus since then. Barbara has some more ambitious plans for 2022, so hopefully the pandemic will be under control by then. Also on the Upper West Side is Fran Hoffinger. Her career included work in advertising, publishing, and Wall Street brokerages, and managing the office of her husbands private medical practice. My fellow class correspondents and I look forward to hearing from you soon. She is a member of the varsity dance team and will be performing at all the home football and basketball games, so well be making lots of trips to Ithaca this year! To this end, Amy and husband Bill also bought a 110-year-old house as an investment property in downtown Ithaca to stay in during their visits, along with their other two children (ages 16 and 13), and to rent out as an Airbnb. Melinda Dower and Susan Shiebler MacDowell 79 were also in attendance. We love to see them! He conducted his doctoral research at the Berkeley Sensors and Actuators Center in the area of ultrasonic MEMS. As if this werent enough, can you believe that this gifted physician couldnt get access to N95 masks back when COVID-19 began? Vik Kohli, MBA 10, was recently promoted to VP of safety and reliability at Enbridge, working on company-wide safety, environment, and lands services for both operations and projects. It is just too beautiful to mail back to them! Neal has volunteered his time, now for 23 years, as a member of the Croton School District Board of Education. He has been included as a co-author in a scientific paper involving night sky cameras on the topic of artificial light at night (ALAN).

Cleveland Police Academy Physical Agility Test, Articles P