Who's there? I say its a pretty focused Descendents record. Just to get that out of me and not holding it inside anymore, is a huge relief for me [] Every single time I hear that song, it just freaks me out. Just buy them drugs and they'll fuck you!" Milo Goes To College was a tough one to follow, but Bill, Tony and Milo managed to come up with a whole slew of strong, emotional, melodic, warm, angry, loving and anxious punk rock songs with only a few stinkers to be found ("Descendents" and "GCF" are particularly rank). I Don't Want To Grow Up? [17] Lombardo also played on "Eunuch Boy", a song he and Aukerman had written fifteen years earlier. even though they weren't on Solid Gold. When I complained to my wife about this, she replied, "Well, it's four young guys hanging out together. What I did was burn my vinyl of Bonus Fat, Milo Goes to College AND I Don't Want to Grow Up onto a single CD. TRANSLATION: "Even though later in the song I claim that I don't want to 'have sex' with you but rather want to 'be your friend' and 'marry you,' it's pretty clear by lyrics like this that I do indeed want to have sex with you. Fuckin' bitch!" [2][1][3][4] Navetta sang "Ride the Wild" while Lombardo sang "It's a Hectic World". So the Descendibles turned into All, put out six albums and Jibbity-Joo! Your dreams sound pretty spooky. The music was good, but thats no reason to be mean to your friends.. [1] In 1979, they enlisted Stevenson's school friend Milo Aukerman as a singer, and reappeared as a melodic hardcore punk band, [1] becoming a . But then the dark Reagan years flew in on the jet-black wings of a Bald Eagle of Hate, and the Descendents quickly became a much louder and punkier outfit. '", "Hope" - "Now you wait for his cock - you know it'll turn you on!" As you know, he plays drums for a living. Ha ha! And I know it may seem curious that I compare everything in life to a dick, but I don't keep a yardstick in the house. Well, professional drummer and funnyman Jon Wurster last week used his 'status' to tell a ridiculous story of falsehoods. The overall speed seems more midtempo than that of Milo, though a few hardcore tracks still make the cut. OOOOOHOHOHOHOHOHHOHOH!!!!! He didn't really play solos, per se, and there were open chords and minor chords, which was cool in the context of punk. ripped off by Green Day) and Bill's gorgeous "Cheer" - and both are way I'm very concerned about the emotions of boats, what with global warming and the pirates. Stevenson wasnt always so full of brotherly love. Now it had to do with a group of six men all connected by some curse. It sets the tone of the whole song. Sure, Blur and Oasis may be crap (I do like Oasis, even though I know I shouldn't) but Supergrass has produced one of the most insanely catchy and enjoyable albums with "I Should Coco" and the rest of their output has been good too, so I'd be remiss if I didn't point that album out to you (though you being you, you may have stumbled accross it). TRANSLATION: "Girls will even stay with guys who abuse them as long as the guy has a big cock. The recording sessions for Cool to Be You took place with Aukerman in February 2002 at The Blasting Room in Fort Collins, Colorado, with additional recording done in April at Planet of Sound in Wilmington, Delaware, and were produced by Stevenson. I could do without songs like "Parents" though. "Weird Al" Yankovic - "When I Was Your Ageage" [7] The illustration was done by Jeff Atkinson, based on earlier caricatures by a high school classmate of Aukerman's named Roger Deuerlein, who had drawn comic strips and posters depicting Aukerman as the class nerd.[2]. Left to right: Egerton, Aukerman, Stevenson, and Alvarez. Remember that one part!??!?! [6] While still short and fast, the songs on Milo Goes to College were also melodic. Language links are at the top of the page across from the title. That EP is a barrage. When I thought I was awake, I was scared to death that I had somehow damaged my brain and would never be able to think clearly again. While I'm not giving it a 10 or anyting, "Cool To Be You" at least gets a 7. The rolling drums and guitar 'licks' are enough to distract me from the bad lyrics, and the songs are short. It was a very different kind of a sound, so the rhythmic intent and pulse, what he was going for, cleaner guitar soundthose were the things that struck me overall. [3][6][11] Lombardo was unable to tour with the band due to his job with the United States Postal Service, and was replaced by Doug Carrion, who performed on their three tours in support of I Don't Want to Grow Up, After three tours in support of I Don't Want to Grow Up, the band recorded Enjoy! Have any of these cretins even ever talked to a girl? ", "Bikeage" - "Take a quaalude, relax your mind/Relax your body too!" [2] By the end of the year they had failed to attract any more band members, so Nolte left to join The Last with his brothers. Reader Comments And I would succeed, winding up on the floor next to a figure from my nightmare. While most of the nation counted down to midnight on Dec. 31, Cooper was at Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden for Professional Fighters League's New Year's Eve championship, where he defeated David Michaud for the welterweight title and earned a cool $1 million in the process. I dug carryin' (Doug Carrion) all those terrible songs to the record tried to put out a Green Day album. "[51] In 2014, Filmage: The Story of Descendents/All, a documentary on the band, premiered. As Screeching Weasel definitively proved a few years later, your punk band is going to sound like a big pussy if you let some sissy nerd-voiced geek loser dork handle the lead vocals, so Bill "William" Steven "Steve" Son invited his friend Milo Aukerman to audition. [13], One week later, on Stevenson's birthday of September 10, Stephen Egerton and Karl Alvarez moved from Salt Lake City to fill the vacant guitar and bass positions. So that's what started happening this afternoon during my sleep. I will kill and I'll destroy!," "My day will come - I know some day, I'll be the only one!," etc). I certainly wouldn't have pushed for that, but ultimately I get it. "[2] Aukerman described his decision to rejoin the band as "really just my re-entry into the song writing, I had been away for so long and I just wanted to make music which is what I love to do. Now then, I present to you two days of Jon Wurster's 'status' updates, in chronological order: These moments are rare, however. Dully, flatly and stuffed-nosily. "[39], Bill Stevenson attributed the change of their sound to the band's invention of the "Bonus Cup": "We took of a cup of instant coffee grounds, added some hot water, threw in about 5 spoonfuls of sugar, and proceeded to play 10 second songs. )'s confused anxious punk sloucher "Doghouse." pressing plant, but can we record the REAL album now? The distorted guitar and drums are gigantically raw and loud, and Milo's charismatic shout-singing sounds like a cross between Ron Reyes (Black Flag's second singer) and Dez Cadena (Black Flag's third singer). Mark, you may complain about the chord changes on this album, but you gotta admit the musicianship is top notch. Also also (since this is the first time I've emailed you), you site is awesome! --"She made up her mind/I lost my wife, my lover, my best friend/And I don't think/I'll ever be right again" It was AWESOME! from Colo Goes To Mileage! That's a way to ruin a live album. If, on the other hand, it was just shouted out of excitement for what a 'kickass' song "Sour Grapes" is, then ew. Most of the songs are either shits to the toilet bowl ("All-O-Gistics," "Coolidge," "Sour Grapes," "Van"), former winners reduced to ashes by Milo's off-key half-assing ("I'm Not A Loser," "Get The Time," "Suburban Home," "Hope") or songs that don't even exist that I'm just throwing in because I enjoy parentheses ("Eggs McSquiggle's Giant Bug," "Dude Ranch Fuckopoly," "Ernest Goes To Vagina," "Windshield Wiper Option For The Bumper Car Aficionado"). "Van" - This is humumorous. And all four band members write like this! Examples include "Bikeage," "Cameage," "Myage" and "Tonyage" (and jokes on this pattern include "Marriage" and "Coolidge"). Yes, the first song is atrocious, and yes the lyrics to "Pervert" effectively ruin an otherwise solid punk-metal rocker, but Good God are there some wonderful tunes on here! The Descendents joined Planet Rock USA in 1978 when guitarist Frank Navetta, bassist Tony Lombardo and drummer Bill Stevenson got together to combine the sound of '60s beach music with the energy of '70s punk rock.Their debut single, "Ride The Wild"/"It's A Hectic World" shot up the charts upon its 1979 release, eventually stopping with a bullet somewhere . It was an interesting horror movie scenario and normally I wouldn't mind a spooky dream like this, except for one thing: I was the one throwing myself out the window every time! In the dream, I had been asleep for 27 hours and was unable to tell the difference between sleep and wake. Finally. Thats the foundation this band is based on, that were four brothers, not four businessmen.. The Descendents' Enjoy! Add your We have three peoples clothing on one shelf, and everyone takes whatever he wants. every potential punk song into either terrible hard rock or inoffensive [27], A documentary called Filmage documenting the story behind the Descendents and All[28] premiered at Bloor Hot Docs cinema in Toronto on June, 15th 2013 as part of the NXNE Music and Film festival. The weak thrash parody "Hurtin Crue" features the couplet "I am If I break up with my girlfriend and get another one, that would change the sound of the band, he notes. I've always seen this as kind of like 2 EPs, with side one being "punk" and side two being "pop". He is a top session musician who has played with the most successful acts of 60's and 70's British rock such as The Who, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Elton John & Rod . "Kabuki Girl" - "Your face is white your hair is black/You'll probably stab me in the back." (1993), which would essentially be rerecorded in Ft. Collins as Rocks Your Lame Ass! on the album though come on, I can see how you think all that anti-beaver, fish/cunt stuff IS misogynistic because I feel that to make personal attacks on the female anatomy is wrong, HOWEVER I do feel you're being way too sensitive about the lyrics in "Pervert" and "GCF." Earlier last year, New Alliance had released Bonus Fat, a collection of old Descendents recordings that seemed to signal a continued interest in the band. Paskelbta 2022-06-04 Autorius disadvantages of polyurethane foam Just buy them drugs and they'll fuck you! Let's examine each songwriter's lyrical contributions separately, now that we've established that the riffs (aside from a couple of Bill's) are all pretty negligible. It may be their least adventurous and most traditionally 'pop-punk' album to date, but it sure is professional-sounding and easy on the ears. Add your thoughts? The kidneys filter YOU, THE READER out of the blood and produce urine, a yellow fluid, to carry the wastes out of the body. When we formed, Tony Lombardo, the original bass player said, 'Dude- you need to write some songs,' and I had never written a song before so I just wrote down some words and brought it to him. Why do I get my hopes up at all?.What's the use in dreaming when dreams never come true?" [2], In October 2008, founding member Frank Navetta died after "becoming ill over the course of a few days". In addition, although half of the record falls into the much-beloathed 'pop-punk' category, the emphasis is on 'punk.' Its directly because of you that I've bought albums by, and listened to the Melvins, Electric Six, the Dead Kennedys, the Beastie Boys, the B-52's, the Pixies, the Breeders ("Last Splash" is great, btw), the NEW BOMB TURKS (Good LORD are they fantastic!!! Facebook allows you to update your 'status' any time you'd like. Look, I've made more poop jokes than Mark David Chapman's killed Beatles, but even I find these constant fart references to be a real turn-off. What I'm telling is the truth. Except for the bits of metal showing up every once in a while, these are A funeral service will be held on Saturday, April 29th 2023 at 11:00 AM at the First Baptist Church (217 SW Ave . You're enjoyable with your early-60's/late-70's conglomeration! And this Milo - he may have looked like a pocket protector four-eyed goobatron, but his gruff youthful shout had "Southern California Punk Rock" scrawled all over it! on cassette and compact disc. Eventually (thank GOD) I was able to turn my body 180 degrees on the couch, open my left eye and see my dog on the floor. who? Was the pressing plant owned by some guy with a really short dick, who pressed the records with his dick, so they couldn't be any longer than his dick?" It was rumored that Epitaph would not sign All without getting the Descendents as well,[19] but Stevenson explained that the arrangement was made because Epitaph head Brett Gurewitz would allow both bands to make albums at their discretion: When we signed with Epitaph it was for both bands. Buy Two Things At Once first, but understand that your Descendents collection is not complete until you get this one. As for the reunion Descendents CDs, well that's All with a different singer. Huge amounts of little, I'd demand! Goes Out newsletter, with the week's best events, to help you explore and experience our city. But during all this time, I honestly couldn't figure out whether I was awake or asleep. That's what he does -- nothing else. No one else would have done that. (1987) and Hallraker: Live! Because I remain unimpressed. OSLANE@student.gvsu.edu I half expect Milo to follow "Now you're gone and I'm alone" with "I always wanted you to ride my bone." Add your 20 in a 2001 list of "The 50 Most Essential Punk Records", and including it in a 2004 list of "Essential Hardcore" albums. All was released in LP, cassette, and CD formats, the latter two containing the additional tracks "Jealous of the World" and "Uranus". The riffs and melodies themselves are still quite creative and memorable though, and some of the songs (ex. The more they got into it the more it turned into their own religion; it's partly humor, but it's also an outlook on how to conduct your life: to not settle for some, to always go for All. Fuckin' bitch! Just because we've gone away Get our L.A. A few sexist lyrics remain, but they're at least consigned to a side one ghetto, leaving side two completely sweet, sad and mature. I know plenty of girls who think that way. "[2] For the cover of the Descendents' first album, Milo Goes to College (1982), Stevenson asked friend Jeff "Rat" Atkinson to draw his own interpretation of Deuerlein's Milo character: "I go 'Roger does the drawing'", recalled Atkinson, "He goes 'No, you gotta do it.' She is also survived by nieces and nephews some whom are like her own children. I'm mostly playing other people's parts. thoughts? I once had a dream where a bunch of my friends and I were trapped in a glass building that was being attacked by bloody mutant dogs with extra heads and limbs, just banging up against the glass, trying to get us. The Descendents joined Planet Rock USA in 1978 when guitarist Frank Navetta, bassist Tony Lombardo and drummer Bill Stevenson got together to combine the sound of '60s beach music with the energy of '70s punk rock. On our endless quest I have been writing and Stephen (Egerton) has really picked up the mantle, too. You go out there and youre corrupted. TRANSLATION: "Girls are both whores and teases. [2][1] Nolte sang with the group at several of their early performances, but by the spring of 1979, The Last were becoming more active and he left the Descendents again, being replaced by bassist Tony Lombardo. We share. [30], In May 2015 it was announced by Stevenson that the band had been working on some demo songs for a new album, which could possibly be released mid-2016. It's funny because when you listen to some stupid blink-182 song you kind of hear their influence from the Descendents, but it's not the same at all because you just picture one of the members of blink-182 as a popular douchebag arsehole (Who probably hung out with all the football players and got high). And by source, I mean Descendents guitarist Stephen Egerton. Unless it really is just a Green Day/Bad Religion split-single that somebody put in the wrong album cover. At different points, I was passed out in Carl Schurz Park, dazed in my childhood room surrounded by mold and filth, pleading to my father for help, trying to explain to the police that I needed assistance, etc. This time you are dead on though. All - SST 1987 But no more of this "music" talk. We never did a popular thing And this was enough to shift my nightmare to a different plotline. I think what I appreciate most about the descendents is their unapologetic immaturity either that or their wild lust for coffee. "No, All!" We all bought it and did a little fairy dance and life was never the same again. Most of the songs are either shits to the toilet bowl ("All-O-Gistics," "Coolidge," "Sour Grapes," "Van"), former winners reduced to ashes by Milo's off-key half-assing ("I'm Not A Loser," "Get The Time," "Suburban Home," "Hope") or songs that don't even exist that I'm just throwing in because I enjoy parentheses ("Eggs McSquiggle's Giant Bug," "Dude Ranch Fuckopoly," "Ernest Goes To Vagina," "Windshield Wiper Option For The Bumper Car Aficionado"). TRANSLATION: "Girls are whores. And this album is phenomenally bad. Unfortunately, these open rope cages spent a considerable amount of time underground and in fact underwater, where rats continually fell into the cages and gnawed on the screaming passengers! I'd say this is my 3rd or 4th favorite Descendents record, which means it deserves, oh, say a 6.5/10. Are they stagnating? Thats my idea of a fan.. Rather than having some schlub (i.e., me) pontificate about how brilliant pop/punk/hardcore pioneers the Descendents are and why everyone should see them Friday as part of the MusInk Tattoo Convention & Music Festival, I thought I'd go to the source. mass effect 2 best bonus power soldier. Over the weekend, the Walk the Line actress shared a new photo of the 17-year-old in honor of his latest single, "Love for . It would be hard ever to accuse the Descendents of stagnating. "[5], After a six-month trial with a female singer, Cecilia Loera, they recruited Milo Aukerman as their new vocalist. The few songs that don't sound like Al Goldstein wrote them are just your basic naive teenager social commentary, but it's interesting to note that two of these lyrical departures ("M 16" and "Statue of Liberty") are also the only songs that seem out of place on this record. social satire (hard rock guy lashing out at new wave girl) were it not "Ace," "My World") are more emotionally tormented than anything on Milo. First was the crew neck T-shirt, then I drew the polo shirt Milo, then I drew the Milo with a tie, because he goes to college. The metal material is much better; as clearly Black Flag-influenced as it is (Egerton even uses the same sick guitar tone that Ginn was using in the mid-80s), it at least offers interesting, unpredictable riffs and tight technical playing (especially on the drums -- Bill tears wild oats all over this record!).

Does Jose Abreu Have A Brother, Mobile Homes For Rent Palestine, Tx, Unfinished White Oak Flooring, Articles R